Professional color is one thing many women make a regular part of their beauty routines. If you're investing in your color every six to eight weeks, it's important to make sure you're doing all you can to keep it vibrant, fresh, and beautiful. A few simple tweaks to your hair care routine can make all the difference in ensuring that your color always looks fabulous.
1. Use products made specifically for color treated hair. Aveda's Color Conserve line protects color and includes a shampoo, conditioner, weekly treatment, and leave in treatment. Using products that are not color safe can strip the color leaving your hair dull and faded.
2. Turn the water temperature down. Rinsing in cool water keeps the cuticle closed. When you rinse your hair with hot water, the cuticle opens and color molecules can be rinsed away more easily. Try lukewarm or slightly cool water for best results.
3. Shampoo less. Daily washing fades color faster than anything else. If you have some oil on the second (or third) day and need freshening up, try a dry shampoo like Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo. You can also try simply rinsing and conditioning if you want to restyle but don't need to shampoo.
4. Protect your hair from the sun. If you spend a lot of time outside, you may notice that color can lighten or fade from the sun. Sun Care Protective Hair Veil minimizes dryness caused by the sun and contains UVA/UVB filters to protect your color. This lightweight spray can be applied on damp or dry hair. Be sure to reapply every couple of hours.
5. Try a color depositing conditioner. No matter how careful you are, your color will likely fade slightly between appointments. Color depositing conditioners contain more pigment than color depositing shampoos and can be used weekly to maintain your color. Be sure to select the shade appropriate for your color. Blue Malva counteracts brassy or warm tones while Camomile adds golden warmth. Black Malva deepens and cools down dark hair. Clove adds rich, warm tones to brunette hair and Madder Root deposits true red pigment.
6. Try a glossing treatment. If color depositing conditioners don't pack enough punch, you can try an in salon glossing treatment. These can be customized to deposit the tones you want and only take 15 minutes. They add tons of shine and are especially helpful for colors that fade quickly (reds, violets, and fashion colors).